Monday, June 20, 2011

Repent

     This poem was written years ago.  I left it as I wrote it then, though it could use some editing.  Seems to have an ongoing application to living a Christian life.  Stubborn rebellion creeps in, anger lurks and feeds on unforgiven hurts, and the battle is against my own selfish nature.    Father God has a way of reminding me of His Grace and my weakness.   Praise His Holy Name.

REPENT

"Oh, what a pious picture of holiness I must be."
That's what I was thinking, as on bended knee
I knelt praying for a friend's need
I saw myself being very spiritual, indeed!

But then---what's this?  That can't really be me!
A vision I saw of myself on bended knee,
But when I turned my face---I saw clear,
Not the smile of a saint, but a devil's leer.

Why, I don't look like that at all
Christ is within me---He'll answer my call
Oh God!  How can this be true?
Is this vision really from You?

I rebuked it loudly but the vision was clear
I cried out to God, I "cast" out fear
Finally I asked, "God, what does it mean?
What are You saying?  Please make me clean."

I opened my bible and this I did see
Chapter thirteen of Luke---verse three.
The word that burned into my mind and sense
Repent, repent---yes, that's it.  Repentance!

Who, me?  What did I do, Lord?  After all
I'm a child of the King---did I really fall?
But---I thought I was lifted out of the mud
I know that I am covered by Your blood.

I've tried to do all that I could,
You mean I didn't do all that I should?
Then Jesus showed me a thing or two
They weren't very pretty, I'll tell you.

When my filthy rags were revealed
With His conviction I was filled
Trespasses that I had simply shrugged away
Now were brought to His light of day

By now I was ready to repent and cry out,
God gave me forgiveness, I don't doubt
I felt a release as I read in Luke fifteen
Verse ten confirmed it---I am redeemed!

Now, I would like my prayer to be
"Oh, God, thank You for forgiving me
Praise Your Holy Name and let it be
Only Your nature that shines through me.

Luke 13:3  "I tell you, Nay; but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luke 15:10  "Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

No comments:

Post a Comment