Thursday, May 6, 2021

Oofda Y'all

      Since I'm now a resident of north Minnesota, I have fallen in love with at least one word of the local lingo.   Oofda!  An expression of dismay of Scandanavian origin, I hear it a lot here.  Ex: " Oofda, I swallowed my bottom dentures while eating a cookie!" Not really!  Did y'all know a sense of humor is essential to living in a nursing home?  Survival depends upon it!   Laugh til it hurts.  Heck, I can't shop til I drop, dance all night, hike, bike, or even indulge in anything to oblivian anymore.....except sleep.  I manage to sleep quite a bit.  I think its the cat in me.  The difference between a cat nap and mine is the cat stays in tip top physical condition, while I snap, crackle and pop upon movement of any kind.   

     Whats to laugh about in a nursing home, you ask?  Hearing some expressions of neediness from the lady down the hall is always good for a chuckle.  She almost sings, "Ooooookay, oooookay, okay.  Come on, come on, come on.  🎵"  She tickles me with the tone of her laments.  I hope I  don't sound heartless because I smile about it. She is a dear 102 years old lady.  I think when you pass 100, you ought to get a free pass to be a little loud.  Meanwhile, there are others who are very annoying, to be honest.  There but for the grace of God, go I.  

     Sometimes I force myself to laugh at annoyances knowing that it could be a worse scenario . like when my roommate sits and stares at me, when she gets tangled up in my oxegen tubing, or rams my oxegen tank with her wheelchair.   I can laugh and be happy I don't have a worse roommate!  I reckon I'm not a such a perfect roommate myself.  I catch myself grunting when I'm out of breath.  Annoying, I'm sure...also I make way too many trips to the bathroom night and day.  My kids used to call me "Mrs Peebody"   Oh well, I can laugh at myself, too. 

     Honestly, I am thankful for being here.  Its a grand provsion from Father God.  When I first learned the name of this place was Cornerstone, the first thing that came to mind was Jesus is the cornerstone!  He is my all in all.  My redeemer, my friend, my savior, my blessed hope and I love Him more and more as time goes by.   Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment