Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Enemy

THE ENEMY

I have an enemy of my soul
He has stalked me all my years
From a child 'til now I'm old
He has filled my life with fears

When but a girl so small
With wonder and hope in my heart
When I understood not at all
The enemy had his hateful start

When and how did he begin
To torment and fill me with despair
Did he ride upon an evil wind
Using hateful words to ensnare

Just how he got his ugly start
Probably I'll never know
Oh, how he crippled my childish heart
He proved to be my bitter foe

He made me wish I were dead
Carefree days of childhood he stole
My paths wandered where he led
He made my heart stiff with cold

He entwined himself around me
He etched my face with a frown
I wondered sometimes what I could be
If only I wasn't always down

Then I met Jesus and let Him in
He became my savior so sweet
He loved me and became my friend
He melted my heart with Holy heat

Still, the enemy stayed near me
Refused to give up ground
Oh Lord Jesus, how can this be?
You lift me up and he pulls me down

Jesus, I will name my enemy
He is called "depression"
Jesus I do want to be free
Hear my sad confession

I let him bend and warp me
Helplessly I flounder in blackest gloom
Overcome with fatigue, unable to flee
Guilty 'cause I gave him room

Jesus, You are my hope now
Why am I at times overcome
Why do I scrape and bow
To that filthy evil one?

The only peace I have known
The only beauty, the only happiness
Comes directly from Your throne
Jesus, You alone are my rest

Jesus, the enemy is lurking still
In the shadows, he's most always there
He fiendishly attempts to kill
Me with hopelessness and despair

Why do I let him rampage
Why can't I bid him go
Why can't I resist his savage
Attacks?  I just don't know

Why do I forget from time to time
That Jesus is living within
Jesus, my only hope devine
Jesus, my true and trusted friend.

No matter how the enemy tries
Jesus, you always hold him back
You always hear my silent cries
You have the courage that I lack

Cause me to keep my eyes upon You
Strengthen me with Your might
Lead me in all Your will to do
Together we will win this fight.


     If anyone reads this who suffers from depression, I pray you will be encouraged and know that Jesus will substain us in the darkest of times if we trust Him to do so.  I still love the child's song, "Jesus loves me, yes I know, for the bible tells me so.  Little ones to Him belong, we are weak but He is strong!   God bless.   CS

No comments:

Post a Comment